The following is a part of my book, How to treat yourself at without medication.
2.8 Kidney Energy
I would like to talk about Kidney energy.
The Kidney energy is Water and is the strongest Yin within the 5 energies.
So the Kidney is easily influenced by the cold.
The other organ which also has Water energy is the Bladder.
As you know, these two organs (Kidney and Bladder) are related to the function of urination.
If I broaden the range, these organs control all the water in the body.
So if our body is becoming cold, the kidney and bladder try to excrete extra water in order to keep our body warm.
When Kidney energy becomes weak, we retain water under the skin, called edema. This is because we are unable to excrete water through urination very well.
Kidney energy is not only excreting water but also cleansing water.
Only about 5% of the water is excreted as urination. The other 95% is cleansed and filtrated through the kidneys and is circulated again throughout our body.
When Kidney energy becomes weak, the water is not cleansed properly. This leads to cloudy water.
Cloudy water doesn’t flow smoothly and tends to accumulate, causing cataracts, Meniere’s disease, Hypertension, gout, etc.
Kidney energy controls the bones.
The weakness of Kidney energy causes the weakness and degeneration of bones such as osteoporosis and degeneration of the knee joints.
On the contrary, it may also produce stones in our body such as Kidney stones or urinary stones.
Kidney is weakened by the cold, so the cold causes various disorders.
The main cause of miscarriages and infertility is the weakness of Kidney energy due to an internal cold condition within the body.
Cold feet and hot flashes appear when the lower body gets cold and heat in the upper body cannot come down. This is due to weakness of Kidney energy.
Now I will tell you how to strengthen Kidney energy.
First, chew your food well.
Chewing well produces saliva.
Saliva is a very important substance to strengthen Kidney energy.
Aging makes Kidney energy weak, therefore a lot of elderly people need something to drink when they have meals because they don’t have enough saliva.
Next is food.
People who have kidney diseases and high blood pressure are told not to take salt.
But what they must not take is salt which is made chemically, called sodium chloride.
Taking natural sea salt which contains a lot of minerals, especially potassium, strengthens your Kidney.
Taking good salt is important because good salt gets rid of the old salt remaining in our body, causing various diseases.
The ingredients which strengthen Kidney energy are beans, sea vegetables and root vegetables.
Among beans, black beans and red beans are very good.
Also if you can eat Natto, which is a traditional Japanese food made from fermented soybeans, that is very effective.
Kelp and Hijiki are good among sea vegetables.
All root vegetables are good, but burdock is especially good.
Lastly, is life style.
Kidney is weak during the cold weather or within cold environments, therefore it is important to keep your body warm.
Try to avoid drinking cold beverages or staying in a cold place for a long period of time.
Especially pregnant women should try to warm their lower body and abdomen.
Also, standing for a long time tasks the bones which are controlled by Kidney energy, so it is important to lie down and rest your body.
This Blog is for a memo of my clinical realizations, information about health I have learned recently and update information.