- Sticky and slimy foods such as natto (fermented soy bean), okura or yam slow down the elevation of blood sugar.
- Chewing well encourages the secretion of insulin and suppresses the elevation of blood sugar.
- Taking DHA and EPA included in fishes for a long time not only prevents hardening of blood vessels but also makes the secretion of insulin better.
- Eating too much salty dishes makes you want more carbohydrate resulting in the elevation of blood sugar.
- Eating toasted breads suppresses the elevation of blood sugar because the starch difficult to digest increases.
- Applying butter on toasted breads suppresses the elevation of blood sugar because fat slowly goes down from stomach to intestines.
- If you want to eat toast with something sweet applied, it is good to apply honey thinly not to elevate blood sugar because it takes time to absorb fructose which is the main substance of honey.
- It is good to put French dressing on a salad. Oleic acid contained in olive oil encourages the secretion of GLP-1 which is a hormone encouraging the secretion of insulin. Also citric acid and acetic acid contained in vinegar slow down the speed of digestion. So any dressing containing olive oil and vinegar is effective but be careful about taking too much.
- Not to have diabetes, drinking coffee is better than not drinking coffee because of polyphenol, but if you drink coffee before a meal, blood sugar tends to rise due to caffeine. Caffeine blocks the action of insulin and encourages the secretion of adrenalin which raises blood sugar. So it is recommended to drink coffee after a meal.
- If you drink vegetable juice, it is good to drink it 30 minutes before a meal. Vegetable juice is in a condition that sugar is dissolved in water so it is easy to be absorbed, but the amount of the sugar dissolved in water is not much so that blood sugar doesn’t go up very much but insulin starts to work. So drinking vegetable juice 30 minutes before a meal makes the condition that insulin handles sugar taken from a meal immediately. But drinking too much vegetable juice elevates blood sugar. A glass of it is good amount.
- Fruits should be eaten before a meal not to elevate blood sugar because fruits contain dietary fibers and a substance which suppresses the action of digestive enzymes.
This Blog is for a memo of my clinical realizations, information about health I learned recently and update information.