When people aged over 75 have had fracture of femur, the 5-year survival rate is 50 %, while the 5-year survival rate of cancer patients aged over 75 is 65 %. According to a research, men can’t survive 7 years after fracture of femur.
Standing-up Test to know the risk of being bedridden
(1) Sit on the edge of the chair, cross the arms and open your feet shoulder width apart (Fig. 1).
(2) Put your feet close to the chair (Fig. 2).
(3) Lift a foot, stand up without bouncing and keep the posture for 3 seconds (Fig. 3).
(4) Change the foot to lift up and stand up with one leg again.
If you can’t stand up with either leg, the decline of motor function has started to progress.
If you can’t stand up from the chair of 40 cm (16 inches) tall, try another test (Fig.4).
(1) Make a stool of 20 cm (8 inches) tall with magazines or newspapers.
(2) Stand up from the stool with both legs.
If you can’t stand up, the risk of being bedridden is very high.
How to prevent being bedridden
1. One leg standing (Fig. 9)
Just stand keeping your posture straight for 1 minute with each leg 3 times a day (It is safe to do this exercise close to a table or something you can hold on to).
2. Easy Squat
(1) Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and open your toes outward a little (Fig. 5).
(2) Bend your knees like pulling your buttocks backward with breathing out (Do it slowly imaging sitting on a chair behind you.) (Fig. 6).
(Point-1) Your toes and knees should be pointing to the same direction (Fig. 7).
(Point-2) Try not to stick out your knees forward with imaging sitting on a chair (Fig. 8).
(3) Do this exercise 5 times a set, 3 sets a day.
Doing the above 2 exercises improves the muscle strength and balance function, so that fracture due to a fall can be prevented, leading to the prevention of being bedridden.
Food effective to prevent Osteoporosis
The food effective to prevent Osteoporosis is crushed Natto (fermented soybeans) (Fig. 10).
Natto is rich in vitamin K2 which helps producing bones and crushed one is more actively fermented so that more vitamin K2 is contained.
1 pack of crushed Natto (50 grams) contains vitamin K2 for a day.
This Blog is for a memo of my clinical realizations, information about health I have learned recently and update information.