Dialysis is a cleansing process of the blood that uses a special machine to filter wastes and toxins from the blood and return the blood to the body. In general, dialysis needs 4-5 hours per treatment, 2-3 times a week so daily life can be restricted. Dialysis also have to be continued for life. So it is important to prevent chronic kidney diseases.
But if you improve the kidney function before it gets worse, you can expect the improvement of swelling, high blood pressure and frequent urination.
The methods to remove salt from the body are urination and sweat. Since sweat is difficult to control, urination is the only method to remove salt taken from the mouth. The organ doing the job is the kidney. So if the kidney works too much, the kidney becomes exhausted and the function lowers down.
The sense of the taste started becoming weak at the age of 65 in men and at the age of 60 in women. The insensitivity to the taste makes you take more salt.
People who have kidney diseases are insensitive to salty taste. If they continue eating lightly salted food for about a week, their sensitivity to salt returns normal.
How to reduce salt
(1) Choose seasonings which show “Salt Equivalent”. You can calculate about how much salt you are taking.
(2) Use a small measuring spoon, 1/8 tsp.
(3) Season with materials with strong smell such as ginger or garlic.
(4) Season with soup stocks or spices instead of salt.
(5) Eat from light seasoned food.
(6) Record what you ate and the amount of salt.
(1) Use juice of citrus fruits instead of salt.
(2) Use crushed nuts for salads instead of dressing.