- Stiffness in neck and shoulders happens after reading a book for hours.
- It happens after watching a computer or a cell phone for hours.
- It happens accompanied by a headache.
- It is eased by moving the body.
That is caused by the weight of the head.
Do you know the weight of our head?
It is about 11 pounds (5 kg), which is as heavy as a ball of bowling.
The muscles around the shoulder is pulled by the weight of the head, causing stiffness in the neck and shoulders.
Exercise for Stiffness in neck and shoulders
(1) Pinch the cloth at the shoulder with one hand (Fig.1).
(2) Rotate your shoulder widely from front to back and from back to front (Fig. 2).
Since this exercise moves the shoulder blade widely, it is effective to loosen the muscles around the shoulder blade. If you have kept the same posture for more than 30 minutes, it is good to do this exercise a few times to prevent the stiffness in the neck and shoulders.